Monday, May 11, 2009

Musketeers and Tower Snake

Both times I visited the amazing show of Picasso's late work at the Gagosian Gallery on West 21st Street, I had to first wait in line outside for a few minutes--and I'm glad I did.

Waiting in that line for the second time, I caught a glimpse of what looked like a giant dinosaur skeleton inside the Gladstone Gallery.

Not a dinosaur, as it turned out, but a temple-like structure built of bamboo in the form of a coiled snake--the work of Chinese artist Huang Yong Ping.

After an hour in the company of Picasso's musketeers, matadors, and their women, Jim and I wound our way through the snake, from tail to head, on a creaky bamboo walkway.

I plan to go back many times before the Tower Snake closes on July 31. Only three people at a time are allowed inside the snake, but I'm hoping to be there alone one weekday and sit down and meditate in its head.

You can catch the Picasso show Monday-Saturday through June 6.
http://www.gagosian.com/exhibitions/2009-03-26_pablo-picasso/

The Tower Snake may be visited Tuesday-Saturday through July 31.
http://gladstonegallery.com/huang.asp

No comments: